The 12 Days of Holiday Fire Safety
From all the staff and technicians here at ProFire Safety Services, we’d like to wish you all a safe and happy holiday! For those of you celebrating, a very Merry Christmas to you!
Stay warm and stay safe!
Here are 12 Holiday Safety Tips to help you ensure that you are maintaining a safe environment for your family and friends during this festive season:
- Teach children to stay away from candles, fireplaces, trees and space heaters.
- Keep matches and lighters higher up and enclosed at a safe distance, out of the reach of children.
- Using an artificial tree? Check the label to make sure it is fire-retardant!
- Heat from decorative lights can burn wrapping material used for gifts. Keep gifts at safe distances from holiday lights and other heat sources.
- Check peripherals plugged in to outlets ensuring they’re fully plugged in. Exposed plugs can spark, causing a fire to ignite.
- Planning to warm up your car in the garage before driving? Pull it out to avoid carbon monoxide leaks into your home.
- Space heaters need space! Maintain at least three feet of clearance around the space heater.
- Cooking a holiday feast for your family? Be sure to have a lid and extinguisher nearby to smother and extinguish a fire.
- Remind your families and guests of the escape plan and the agreed meeting place in case of an emergency.
- Never use candles to decorate trees. If lighting candles, keep them at a safe distance away from flammable objects and put them out before leaving the room.
- Dry Christmas trees are more likely to catch fire and burn. Keep them hydrated to avoid your tree turning to ash!
- If you do not have an automatic timer, unplug your holiday lights before leaving the house or going to sleep.
Need a carol to sing at your upcoming Christmas party? We’ve put together the 12 Days of Christmas, Fire Alarm Style for you. We can guarantee it’ll be a song to remember this holiday season!